Sunday 9 October 2011

Shoot 3 - Tom and Laura say 'I Do'

 ‘Time will never stand still and those moments that bring us such joy become memories in an instant. To capture such a moment and record it forever is truly monumental.’ - Joshua Atticks

As part of my assignment ‘Research Blog’ I have decided to base one of my projects on a Family Wedding I am to shoot. It is an occasion I have been asked to photograph. The wedding is at The Church of St John Evangelist, a beautiful church with gardens, the photographic opportunity is endless.

To research my project, as the photographer of the wedding I intend to visit the church and look for areas where I’ll be photographing. On the day there will be pressure and there is no time for test shoots, so when asked to do a wedding I always visit the location and somebody to photograph – sometimes more than once. I’ll be looking at the entrance of the Church and working out where would be best to stand to photograph, I’ll be looking at the where the ceremony will take place. It’s important to know and have a plan in your head so you know where you need to be to get the best photographs for the family you are photographing, after all it is their day to remember and their ideas and wishes are paramount. I’ll also walk around the gardens and beautiful setting to see where would be best to capture the Bride, Groom and Guests.

To continue my research further I will also be undertaking a variety of research into various Wedding Photographers, this will help me learn and inspire me in so many ways. New photographers are always creating websites and personal blogs and I’ve found through personal research of my own and through assignment research you can always learn a lot from them. I’ll especially be looking at camera angles, lighting, ways of manipulation and different ways of which to photograph a Bride and Groom.

My cousin, the Bride to be and her husband have stated to me that they want natural unconstructed Photographs taken; they don’t want to be ‘over posed’ or acting for the camera. Wedding days are one of the most natural, happy days in the world spent with the ones you love and I for one believe that wedding photography should reflect that naturally. Their valuable day should not be taken up with roll calls and staged situations. Instead, I want to blend a combiation of happiness with a classic style to create an entirely natural, unique series of photographs that tell the complete story of their wedding day. 

Photographs according to Berger capture the present moment – so as viewers we are always looking at the past. A photograph shows ‘an instant of the past arrested’ ‘Another Way of Telling’  John Berger – Chapter 2 ‘Appearances’ page 86.


I intend be with the family and guests throughout their special day and capture every moment of it; from the bride getting ready before the ceremony, to the wedding car driving away after the reception and right up until the first dance of the evening. My aim is to please my family and especially my cousin the groom. All the things that make their day special will be captured and timelessly preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment