Sunday 9 October 2011

Julia Margaret Cameron

Julia Margaret Cameron (11 June 1815 – 26 January 1879) was a British photographer. She became known for her portraits of celebrities of the time, and for photographs with Arthurian and other legendary themes. Cameron's photographic career was short, spanning eleven years of her life (1864–1875). She took up photography at the relatively late age of 48, when she was given a camera as a present.  Although her style was not widely appreciated in her own day, her work has had an impact on modern photographers, especially her closely cropped portraits. Wikipedia
























Although this photograph is not a Wedding Photograph by any means I find it very inspirational. Firstly I appreciate the close up cropped portrait resulting in a square photographic outcome. Secondly I like the composition, the flowers remind me of a wedding bouquet and in my head, I see them as a bouquet. The four subjects in the photograph I see as the bride, groom and parents. Of course this is only my imagination in my head, clearly the subjects in this particular photograph are females, however it is photographs like this from almost a century ago that can still inspire today. I especially like the way the subjects have been placed, although this photograph has been cropped, together the four females stand heads close creating a portrait shot. You can clearly see the emotion in the photograph, to me I feel as if the subjects look sad, there eyes all glancing in a different location gives of the impression that they feel uncomfortable, almost lost. Maybe they have lost someone? Maybe they are sad? It makes me wonder about the photographer’s intentions and what she was trying to capture. This is what I love about photography, the not knowing; when I look at this photograph I see a personal story, just like everybody else will create their own narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment